Classes of hosting solutions
A hosting service is related to depositing and/or sharing certain web content on a web hosting server hosted by a website hosting supplier. There are different sorts of hosting services utilized for different purposes, so let's have a gaze at them. Thus, you can determine what you want, depending on whether you desire to launch a web portal, e-mails, or to share files with friends and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution made available by given hosts, which allows you to share large files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its only purpose is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an index of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to open .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting packages are often supported by showing adverts next to the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a given span of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you have a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting vendors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a completely incongruous interpretation of the real denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would share the load between autonomous groups of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different hosting services (email, web space, stats, DNS, databases, web site hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is merely a brand of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; specific providers provide a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting kind is appropriate if you would like to share a great number of pics with friends or associates since the solution is commonly free of charge. You will obtain a randomly generated link for each and every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web sites.
- Email hosting: a service committed to handling your e-mail accounts. Some distributors provide web page hosting services for web pages, but do not offer an e-mail hosting service. If you want to have an email address with your domain name but do not want to own a site, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can open e-mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video clip in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this method instead of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file brings about a certain amount of CPU load, so with several videos and several hundred site visitors, you may have a hard time with your web site hosting supplies. Embedding the video clip will enable you to manage as many video files as you would like without hassling about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you desire to run a web site. To a certain extent, it incorporates all of the aforesaid hosting sorts since, along with your websites, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and e-mail addresses, upload videos, etc. At Canyon Computer, for example, you can view web hosting and dedicated hosting accounts that enable you to have all of the aforesaid solutions in one single location. There may be restrictions based on the type of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse compared to the ordinary email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are intended for specific web content only.